2014-2015 School year student transfers
As we prepare for the re-districting of our elementary schools and make plans to accommodate the explosive growth taking place in Gig Harbor North, new out-of-district transfer requests will be impacted as follows:
- No new out-of-district transfers will be accepted at grades K through 5
- No new out-of-district transfers will be accepted at Harbor Ridge Middle School
Fillable transfer forms and school district transfer policies are available online at www.psd401.net at the Family scroll down menu under the Transfers tab. Completed forms must be returned to the District office via email, post, or drop-off, no later than April 30th. If you have questions, please call Roxann Tallman at 253-530-1007.
Kindergarten Registration Kick Off!!
The Peninsula School District’s 2014-2015 Kindergarten Registration Kick-Off will be underway at all neighborhood elementary schools on Saturday, March 8 from 9 A.M .to 12:00 P.M.
Do you or someone you know have a child who will be eligible to enter kindergarten next fall? Please plan to join us for our registration kick-off. For those unable to attend at this time, registration will continue throughout the school year. Contact the office at 530-1200 or stop by from 9:30-3:00.
We will continue with our 4-day, all-day kindergarten program.
- Prospective students must be 5 before August 31.
- Please provide birth certificate, immunizations, and proof of residency (utility bill), at the time of registration.
- You can visit the PSD website, parent portal and fill out and print registration forms to bring with you.
- Parents residing within the Peninsula School District desiring to transfer to a different elementary school shall first register their kindergartener at their neighborhood school.
- An in-district transfer request must be submitted for consideration by April 30, 2014. In-district transfers are granted on a space available basis applicants are notified of the decision by June 30.
We look forward to meeting you and getting to know your child!
Parent Academy Presents.....
How to Help Your Child Succeed In Math Using our New Math Curriculum
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014, from 6:00-7:15 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club, the Parent Academy will offer a brief introduction to your child's new math program and how you can support their learning at home in grades 3-5.
Topics that will be covered inculde:
- New Common Core Standards in Math for grades 3-5
- An Overview of how math is taught in school using the new math curriculum
- An introduction to the online math resources offered through our math program.
The Boys & Girls Club staff will offer activities for SCHOOL AGED CHIILDREN.
Please RSVP by February 14.
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Smarter Balanced Assessments
Grounded in extensive research, the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) define what all students should learn in Mathematics and English Language Arts/Literacy to ensure they graduate from high school well prepared for college and the workplace. The new standards feature an increase in rigor, with a focus on critical thinking skills and problem solving. For more information about the Common Core State Standards please visit: http://www.k12.wa.us/Corestandards/
Beginning in 2015 there will be new state tests that assess the CCSS called Smarter Balanced Assessments for grades 3-8 and 11. These new tests will replace our current state tests (MSP) in reading, writing, and math. In the interim, Peninsula School District students in grades 3-8 will participate in the field test for the Smarter Balanced Assessments this coming spring. This experience will help schools plan and adjust for the new system and provide students with a ‘feel’ for the new tests. Since they are participating in the field test, students will not take the MSP in reading, writing, or math this spring. While the field test will not produce individual student results, parents will continue to receive reports directly from their school about their child’s academic progress. For more information about the Smarter Balanced Assessments, please visit: http://www.k12.wa.us/smarter/